Approximately 500 supply chain professionals attended the 2014 SCMA National Conference “Feel the Energy!” in Edmonton, Alberta, June 11-13. Education sessions on SCM, inspiring keynotes, and nights filled with networking events and opportunities to explore the host city made the SCMA National Conference the place to be.
Many delegates got an early start with one of two pre-conference seminars on “How to Avoid Service Contract Disasters” facilitated by Maureen Sullivan, LL.B., President, NECI, and “Building the Lean Fulfillment Stream: Supply Chain and Workshop” facilitated by Kevin von Grabe, Vice President of Lean Deployment, LeanCor Supply Chain Group.
The 2014 National Conference officially kicked off with a fun evening at Fort Edmonton Park, which featured midway rides, a barbecue dinner and entertainment provided by Edmonton’s hottest cover band, Uptown. Rousing keynote addresses from Ferio Pugliese, President, WestJet Encore, Dr. Kimberley Amirault-Ryan, Sport Performance Consultant, and award winning author and economist Mark Anielski provided attendees with insights on professional and personal development tactics and topics. And the keynote panel on Alberta’s flood relief efforts inspired many thought-provoking moments.
Thursday evening’s Awards Gala was an excellent opportunity to celebrate SCMA’s Award of Distinction winners and formally recognize the excellent work and dedication of the Host Conference Committee. After dinner, on the gorgeous patio above the Saskatchewan River, guests continued to network and mingle with fellow delegates, speakers and sponsors or to dance to tunes spun by a local DJ.
The sessions at the 2014 SCMA National Conference included:
- B2B Best Practices for Inclusion: Establishing A Supplier Diversity Program - Jamie Crump, United Rentals, Inc.; Marcia Seymour, TD Bank Group; Cassandra Dorrington, Canadian Aboriginal and Minority Supplier Council; Indy Sian, P&SCM Strategy Intelligence, Procurement & Supply Chain Management, Technology Strategy & Operations, TELUS Communications; Michael Power, Editor, PurchasingB2B & Travel Management Canada
- Building Sustainable Supply Chains as Drivers for Development and Risk Mitigation - Monica Ospina, O Trade
- Contract A: Palpitations and Innovations - Michael Large, Law@Large
- Creating Supply Chain Visibility in the Commercial Construction Industry - Scott Logan, PCL Construction Resources Inc.
- Improving Productivity and Efficiency: The Never Ending Journey - Ken Egitman
- Improving the Cash Conversion Cycle: How to Optimize Your Supply Chain Processes - Barry Levine
- Innovative Strategies to Improve Inventory Management and Capitalize on Obsolete Assets - Andrew Bulmer, Active International Canada
- Is Your Organization's Supply Department "Fully" Legitimate? - Jean Nollet, HEC Montréal
- Managing a Multigenerational Workforce D25 - Soraya Gutman, Brand Launcher Inc.
- Meeting the Demand of Supply Chain Professionals - Rick Cleveland, SCMA; Steven Davidson, Pursuit Placement Group; Brian Fleming, Mount Royal University; Mike Houston, Aplin Executive Search; Deborah Hurst, Athabasca University; Bill Oliver, Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada
- Optimizing the Freight and Transportation Supply Chain Through the Use of Collaborative Tools - Jeff Carlson, Citi
- People Before Problems: Focus on Solutions Before Conflict Resolution - Pam Paquet, Pam Paquette & Associates Performance Management
- Proactive Integration of RFID into Your Material Management Strategy - Jon Chesser, Atlas RFID Solutions; John Walker, Bantrel Management Services; Landon White, Ernst + Young
- Procurement Analytics: The Art of the Possible - Paul Marc Frenette, Deloitte; Mike Kluh, Deloitte; Guillermo Salazar, Deloitte
- Selecting the Right Procurement Tool - Maureen Sullivan, NECI National Education Consulting Inc.
- SRM a Differentiated Strategy - Simon Brown, ArcBlue
- Supply Chain Collaboration: Turning Your Supply Chain into an Engine of Competitive Innovation - Calvin Austrom, RAM Manufacturing; Brian Dumsday, Enterprise Edmonton; Craig Leavitt, Mobile Data Technologies; Gary Loblick, The Winslow Group
- Supply Chain Management Transformation: A Building Blocks Approach - Lis Anderson, URS Corporation
- Supply Chain Success Factors in Project Centric/Project Manufacturing Companies - Andres Diaz, Seneca College
- Supply Chain Transformation in Municipal Government Mobile Assets - Mike Croza, Supply Chain Alliance
- Taking Control of Public Procurement! - Mike Gerrior, The Regional Municipality of York
- The New Rail Legislation: What It Means for Shippers - Nina Frid, Canadian Transportation Agency
- The Role of Rail in Supporting and Enabling Supply Chain Excellence - Ian Murray, Canadian Pacific
- Value Based Project Delivery – ASU Best Value: Increase your Leadership and Management Success - Kenneth T. Sullivan, Arizona State University
- World-Class Procurement: Evolving Value Proposition, Performance, and Capabilities - Kurt Albertson, The Hackett Group
Thank you to all our delegates, speakers, volunteers and our sponsors.