Pursuant to the provisions of provincial legislation and SCMA Alberta bylaws, Individual membership in SCMA Alberta is categorized as follows:
Applicants may be accepted for membership into SCMA Alberta if they meet the following criteria:
- Are no less than 18 years of age;
- Live in Alberta;
- Are of good character, which will be assumed absent any evidence to the contrary;
- Support or have an interest in the supply chain management field of practice, related areas or study and research, which will be signified by their interest in joining;
- Agree to comply with SCMAAB’s by-laws, the SCMAAB Act, the Code of Ethics and any other rules and regulations governing Membership;
- Pay the dues required.
Any evidence of a complaint about a Member’s compliance with these requirements which comes to light after a Member has been accepted will be addressed through the association’s Complaints and Discipline mechanisms as outlined in the Bylaws.
An SCMA Alberta member shall:
- Comply with the Institute’s by-laws, Codes of Ethics and conduct and any other rules and regulations governing the individual’s participation in the Association, including any maintenance of professional certification requirements in effect.
- Be considered for appointment to committees, or be nominated for a position on the board.
All SCMA Alberta Members are regular members of SCMA National, with voting rights at the SCMA annual general meeting and are required to comply with SCMA Alberta by-laws, SCMA by-laws and the SCMA Code of Ethics. Where found guilty of a disciplinary infraction, an SCMA Member may be censured, suspended or expelled.
2. Student Affiliates
As part of Canada's largest supply chain management association SCMA, SCMA Alberta uses its considerable leverage to ensure students at the post-secondary level are given professional opportunities in supply chain management (SCM). SCMA Alberta views post-secondary students of today as the leaders of tomorrow. This is why we’ve created a new category of affiliation to facilitate and encourage their involvement in the supply chain community. The Student Affiliates Program provides a low-cost way for full time post-secondary students to receive many of the benefits normally associated with SCMA Alberta membership.
Students who qualify for this program will receive a discounted rate of $29.00 + GST (per year), as long as they remain enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program. When a student is no longer enrolled at the post-secondary institution, regular membership fees will apply.
As a student affiliate of SCMA Alberta, prospective students have the opportunity to connect with the supply chain management community before they graduate, giving them an early and competitive advantage in building professional networks for their career.
Canada's post-secondary community plays a crucial role in attracting future professionals to the field of supply chain management (SCM). SCMA is contributing to this effort through formal and informal programs with schools, on-campus clubs, and individual students.
SCMA's support of the post-secondary community includes opportunities for SCM students to:
- Become a Student Affiliate of SCMA
- Represent SCMA on their campuses
- Apply for scholarships to assist with the cost of an SCM education
- Put theory into practice by competing with their peers from across the country on a simulated, real-world SCM challenge
- Provide eligibility for advanced standing to SCMA educational programs.
Students who make SCMA part of their studies are poised for bright futures as professionals in supply chain management.
For the purpose of student affiliations, a student is defined as someone who is enrolled in a full-time course of study at a post-secondary institution.
3. Academic Affiliates
SCMA Alberta’s Academic Affiliates program brings together educators who have interests in supply chain management. Existing academic members now have the option of becoming Academic Affiliates at half the cost of the regular membership. Academic Affiliation in SCMA Alberta is available to professors teaching for a Canadian university or college (private or public) full-time in a supply chain-related program.
Those who qualify to be Academic Affiliates will receive a discounted rate of 50% off regular membership dues. When an Affiliate is not teaching full-time, regular membership fees will apply.
Although Academic affiliates are not technically members, they still have access to nearly all the benefits of membership except voting rights at the Annual General Meeting. To retain voting rights, you will have to remain a regular member.
This affiliation is a cost-effective way of keeping up-to-date with developments and the literature in the industry, as well as connecting with other professionals and academics in the supply chain community. The academic affiliate program demonstrates an academic’s commitment to professional development and is an ideal way of getting an early and competitive advantage in building professional networks for their career.
Academic Affiliation in SCMA provides a number of valuable benefits, which include:
- Access to the online membership directory to facilitate the development of your personal network of supply chain professionals
- Leveraging local SCMA members to provide content for your courses (which helps them earn Continuous Professional Development (CPD) points)
- Learning about opportunities for your students to be introduced to the supply chain profession as soon as they are available
- Information, communications and outreach that will keep you up to date on the issues and developments affecting the supply chain sector
- Networking opportunities with industry professionals through local or regional events
- Demonstrating your commitment to professionalism to your students (You are encouraged to list your membership on your business card, LinkedIn, resumé, etc.)
- Discounted access to professional development and educational opportunities (at the discretion of the institute)
- Complimentary subscription to Supply Chain Canada – SCMA’s flagship supply chain management magazine
- Complimentary subscription to the electronic version of industry trade publications – choices are: PurchasingB2B, MM&D, Canadian Shipper
- Discounts on auto insurance
- Access to the MemberPerks program that provides discounts for goods and services from retailers across the country
4. Retired Members
Members who retire from their supply chain management role, but still wish to keep their membership and/or designation current can qualify for a reduced rate of $100 + GST annually.
5. Honorary Life Members
The Board may grant Honorary Life membership to a member who has made an outstanding contribution to SCMA Alberta, is retired from active participation in business, and has at least twenty (20) years of service to SCMA Alberta.