In 1919, a group of purchasing agents in Montreal formed a chapter representing the city’s purchasing practitioners. It was originally affiliated with the U.S.-based American National Association of Purchasing Agents.
In only two short years, several chapters sprung up across Canada. In 1921 these chapters formed the Council of Canadian Purchasing Agents Association (CCPAA). This new pan-Canadian association kept its ties to its American neighbour until 1955 when it became fully independent from the U.S. association and renamed itself the Canadian Association of Purchasing Agents (CAPA).
In 1963, in partnership with the University of Western Ontario, CAPA developed the Professional Purchaser (P.P.) accreditation program. In 1969, the organization changed its name to the Purchasing Management Association of Canada (PMAC).
By the early 1970s, PMAC had established several Provincial Institutes across the country. Eric Rowe, C.P.P., with the help of a few colleagues who worked in the telephone, healthcare and industrial sectors, wanted to form an Institute in Newfoundland & Labrador. After gathering interest through numerous meetings in company offices across the province, the Newfoundland & Labrador Institute of PMAC was established and Mr. Rowe was elected its first President.
2013 – PMAC and SCL members approve amalgamation at respective AGMs; PMAC and SCL officially become SCMA.
Today the Institute has grown to close to 100 members and is the leading professional association for supply chain management professionals in the province. SCMA NL continues to provide training and professional development programs, as well as networking opportunities, to supply chain management professionals who live and work in Newfoundland & Labrador.